Thursday, October 23, 2008

Neti Pot

So I have started to feel a little congested all in my nose and head, like I'm coming down with a cold of sorts. It could just be from the weather change, or because I'm pregnant and my body is apparently making more mucous. Any how Dane and I decided to go to the store and invest in a Neti Pot.(below)


I'm almost positive many of you have not ever heard of, let alone used a Neti Pot, so I am going to describe the process to you.

  1. fill Neti Pot with luck warm water and saline solution, mixing well
  2. tilt your head forward and sideways, inserting Neti Pot into nostril number one
  3. tip Neti Pot until water begins to flow out the other nostril, and Neti Pot is emptied (below)
  4. repeat step one through four on other side.


Now this may seem like a perfectly normal simple procedure, unless you grew up around the ocean. For those of you who, have ever been knocked down by a wave and then repeatedly hit over and over, (below) the part when you suck up all the salt water into your nose, well that is what this feels like. Dane said it felt like he was drowning. To me it was more the water in the nose burning behind your eyes and running down my throat.


It was very effective, but for a first timer, a little strange the childhood memories it evoked. I can remember going to the beach when we had stuffy noses with my dad to "clear our sinuses" because it was inevitable that you would get a nose full of ocean water. Who knew someone would invent a tool to cause that exact thing.

Overall a great thing, work well, cleared the head and nose, now I can breathe. I would recommend a Neti Pot to anyone who doesn't like to take all those cold meds.

1 comment:

SLM said...

Ew.

Thanks for sharing. :-)