Monday, July 13, 2009

My degree is paying off

I have to admit, my 4 year fashion degree is paying off. Penelope officially has the cutest home-made clothes ever. I have already made 5 dresses for her and I still have plenty of fabric to go.

It is so much fun, and because they don't take very much fabric I can basically use scraps. I am making larger sizes right now, mostly 12m+ because I want her to be walking in them, and I have enough 9m clothes. The last one I made is a tiered pillowcase style dress that fits now but will probably still fit at a year.
For those of you who don't know what a pillowcase dress is here is a how to- and if you're not up for making one give me a call and I will gladly make you some for a small fee :-)


I don't put rick-rack on because I don't really like the home made look it gives. I also dont put elastic in. I Just fold over the top of the dress and sew, making a casing, and then pull my straps through. I always have them tie on one shoulder. Because the straps are movable you can lengthen and shorten as needed. That way as Penelope grows I can make the straps longer, and when the dress eventually gets too short I can just put some leggings on her. Pillowcase dresses are also a year-round garment becasue you can simply put a longsleeved shirt underneath or wear it as is.

For the money and time these are my best investment. All I need is some cute fabric and a couple hours.

With that being said, here is another dress I made out of some of Penelope's left over bedding fabric:


I will take some pictures of all the other dresses and post them as well. I am pretty sure that this is what I was meant to be:

A stay at home wife/mom that can make awesome baby bedding sets and the cutest little girl clothes ever. Pretty much I have the best job ever. Oh and I also do alterations and I made a ton of dance costumes for Keegan Dance Studio. I love my life.

3 comments:

Hannah said...

Kayla,

You are so blessed and gifted. I am searching for a way to use my not so tangible gifts in order to stay at home with my boys.

Way cute dress! :)

Lindsey said...

I want one!! :-) I will try to contact you on Facebook to talk specifics!

Unknown said...

That dress is absolutely adorable.