Saturday, February 21, 2009

Laundry Detergent

So Dane and I have decided to use cloth diapers for our baby. Financially, they are way cheaper than disposables and they are much better for the environment. I started reading some forums about washing your cloth diapers because lets face it laundry detergent is expensive, especially the ones that are safe to use on your diapers. And we will be doing a load every other day just for diapers- probably another 3 a week for clothes- that is 7 loads a week!

And what did I find, apparently people make their own laundry detergent! So I started researching that and it too is much cheaper. I decided that I was going to try, off to Target and Publix I go.

items needed: fels-naptha soap/ivory soap (you choose), arm and hammer washing soda, 20 mule borax, oxyclean free

Every "recipee" I found was some arrangement of these in different ratios, either using the oxyclean or the soap, some used both. Most were around 1:1:1 for everything. With cloth diapers people said not to use ivory because it will build up and starts to repel water so I am using the fels-neptha. I decided to use the whole box of each and only one bar of the soap even though the recipee called for more, don't want build up.

Cost Break down:
Fels-naptha soap @ publix - $1.09
Arm and Hammer WASHING (not baking) soda@ Publix- $2.19


20 mule Borax @ Target- $2.99 @publix- $3.89


Oxyclean free @ both- $7.99


total -$15.12 with tax

take all of these- ratio not exactly 1:1:1 but I think it will be fine- and pour into bucket, grate up bar of soap on cheese grater and add, stir all together. Use 1-2 table spoons for a toploader and 1/2 a table spoon for a front load. Makes about 275 loads worth of detergent for a top-loader! that comes out to $.05 a load, compared to about $.30 for store bought (price breakdown for differnt types) detergent! Here is a link for a liquid detergent recipee.

At $.05 a load and 7 loads a week rounding up comes to $20.00 a year.
At $.30 a load and 7 loads a week rounding up comes to $115.00 a year.

8 comments:

SLM said...

We cloth diapered for a while, and I loved it! For my skinny boys it helped keep their pants up. :-)

We don't do it anymore...too much laundry for me (although I had to do double duty with twins), but I have several friends who still CD.

Good luck, and if I end up with any girly diapers, I'll pass them your way. :-)

Anonymous said...

I am finding out that you and I are more alike than I ever knew!!! :) What cloth diapers have you decided on? I really like Bumeez. They have a really cool starter kit too that is a big money saver.

in a nutshell said...

I'm so impressed by all this research & math Kayla.

Dane and Kayla said...

hey i like math at least i did in high school. Hannah,check out the diaper link in the first paragraph it has all the info about my diapers

Anonymous said...

The links didn't show up in the reader I was reading your post in. :) I love those diapers, those are the ones I was thinking of I think. How many are you going to get initially?

Anonymous said...

My mother, Grandma Gaddis swore by Fels Naptha soap...she would shave it off and use for stubborn stains.

Anonymous said...

That Anonymous was from your MN Mom
I'm having trouble getting my comments up!

emily said...

I am going to the store tomorrow to get all the stuff for the detergent. Have you used it yet? Do you think that it works as well as the store brands? I am really excited to use it. I have also passed it along to a few of my friends! :)
BTW : I am a friend of V's